Hi Everyone

I would like to share what I am up to during my stay in the UK! Follow me as I explore the city, learn new things and experience life in a new country. I will miss all my friends but remember I am only a phone call, text, or skype away!

Sunday, October 3, 2010

words!

One of my friends has a blog and created a list of her favorite british sayings! She came up with:
1. Rubbish. Usually meaning garbage or junk, but also often quoted as such, “I did this essay the other day. It was rubbish.”
2. Que. Said instead of line up. ie. There is a large que right now to buy train tickets.
3. Query. A question or inquiry. I also love the way inquiry is pronounced here - “in kwee ree”, instead of “in kwi ree”.
4. I love love love the way Londoners pronounce the word Yogurt as Yogg gert. Just watch the move Notting Hill with Hugh Grant and skip to this part to see what I mean…
Spike: “This yogurt tastes as if it’s gone a wee bit sour.”
William: “That’s because it’s not yogurt. It’s mayonaise.”
…..

I can ADD to this list:
1. People here do NOT refer to anything over the age of about 10 as school:
school= American elementary school
college= American high school
university=college & grad school
and everyone shortens it to just "uni"

2. "brilliant"= awesome, sweet, (or Kewl for a certain population in rockville)* of course we do have this word in the states it is just used in everyday convos or as frequently!

3. Stunning=hot, pretty, good-looking

4.full stop= period (.), the symbol to show the end of a sentence

5.brolly=umbrella**
(**my mother might have made this up as she is the only one who i have heard actually say this)

6.redtops= crappy newspapers like the Mirror or The Sun

7.prof= professor or teacher

1 comment: