Hi Everyone

I would like to share what I am up to during my stay in the UK! Follow me as I explore the city, learn new things and experience life in a new country. I will miss all my friends but remember I am only a phone call, text, or skype away!

Monday, September 27, 2010

Most over used new phrase: Do you take student discounts?

Hello Everyone!
Sorry... it has been quite a while since I was last able to post! I will really try to work harder on more timely blog updates. It was officially the FIRST day of school today! As a class we were able to do some really fun & special activities.

 Being a student I am no longer working & the lack of an income is quite challenging in general.  Of course adjusting to living in one of the most expensive cities in the world is coming as quite a shock! The #1 thing i have noticed here is how expensive transportation is. I have about a 40 minute commute to school each morning & apparently for young professionals that is pretty minimum. I take an above ground train to Waterloo and then transfer to the underground (like metro) for about 5 stops to central London. My first few days for a mid morning arrival to school i purchased a return train ticket and metro card & this ended up being roughly 19 GBP which equals about $30!!! Imagine, just to GET to school!

The insane conversion rate has forced me to make some serious life style changes fast. My previous three favorite activities in the states recently were probably shopping, eating, and drinking.  So I have had to be creative & find other things to do. One of the amazing things about being a student is that lots of places seem to give discounts! The subway & train system luckily give 30% off to students & an even greater discount if you purchase tickets monthly!

I found a pretty good website: http://www.studentbeans.com/ that i keep checking as well!

One of my favorite activities now that i am in England is, of course, to sight see! This city is so so OLD compared to the states. My class went on a bus tour & here are some highlights:


View of the business school from the bus:


Picture of  Tudor House in central London, it survived the Great Fire which broke out in 1666!



typical photos from london! you really HAVE to see them in person because it is really much more moving in real life!


Sorry, this post going to be short as well but I keep getting interrupted!!!

I miss everyone & I am excited so many of you are starting blogs as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment